Thinking Outside the Box




As a society, I think the majority of American people stuff each other into categorizes to further understand and maybe even subconsciously undermine each other. If you don’t fit into the category or the perceived comfort level perhaps you are out casted even in the most subtle ways. It may be subtle but the judgment we place towards others can affect our respect for them.


In my lifetime I have seen this subtle discrimination in several situations. Growing up in a church that supports the homeless local community has deeply changed my perspective on what it means to judge people. People from all walks of life and backgrounds can fall into homelessness and these people deserve help. No one deserves to live on the streets every night or deserves to fight for their every meal. It disappoints me that people are often afraid to approach those who live on the street. They are still human beings and deserve the dignity and respect we offer everyone else. Another example would be how we judge each other even under the roof of a church. We expect each other to dress a certain way or expect one another to know all the bible stories.


Tuesday night at bible study we looked at the politics of respectability and what it means to respect each other. I currently live in an area where we can impact and be apart of the active fight for health care and refugee safety. As Christians, especially Methodists, we should work to help our brothers and sisters in Christ because everyone deserves the love and respect Jesus expressed. Just because people are different than us in their economic status, does not mean that they deserve lower quality treatment.  


On a more personal level my race has placed me in a box my entire life. Ever since I was younger I was expected to act, talk, and experience life following the stereotypes people felt that I, as a black girl, should follow. If I acted outside of this box I felt out casted out of not an already constantly undermined group of people. In actuality, I’m sure this can be applied to everyone in some way. Some of us are placed in boxes because of our religious backgrounds and others may feel boxed by their sexual orientation. Sometimes we even placed people into boxes because of their lifestyles and everyday habits.


People don’t always fit into the societal boxes that mankind has created. As children of the one true king we were made to be different, and yes it’s hard to understand each other and the way we live, but everyone; including all races, ethnicities, genders, sexual orientations, political parties, religions and all the others boxes in the world, deserves respect. I believe we were placed on this Earth as a part of God’s plan and our mutual respect, love, and care for one another is valued through God’s eyes. Will you think outside the box today?


Iris Gadsden
Summer 17

Blog 4

Comments

Popular Posts