A Sweet Reflection





I have been on this internship for almost two months, it is the longest time I have been away from home and my family. I can say that it has not been very difficult since I have gotten closer to the other interns whom I treat as my family in DC. Although home sickness did not turn out to be as dreadful as I thought it would be, home with my family is my safe place and it is where my heart belongs.
I am a child of God who is being continuously blessed with prosperous possibilities. I have embraced every single one of them because I am aware that these possibilities are carefully handpicked by God. I remember writing about being excited about what God has in store for me on my first blog. Now that I have experienced everything, I am in awe. From the first week until the last week of this internship, he has guided me and showered me with strength and knowledge. And because of the unfailing grace and love he has for me, I could not ask for more. He is more than enough.
I have learned to not only focus on the majority but also to give important focus to the minority. One of our readings called, “Jesus and the Disinherited” by Howard Thurman, focused on Jesus’ poor life. His identity has always shown that he was part of the minority. Yet, he has a life-saving purpose that was meant for everyone. This goes to show that every individual can do the same no matter where they are in life. Each person gets to have a shot, because what if the person who might just have the cure to what we think is an incurable disease could not afford to pay for an education? Then we just missed the chance of saving the lives of hundreds of people who are affected with the disease.
“Grow through what you go through.” This quote has been on my mind lately. Being aware that I have grown in so many different manners makes me proud that I am maturing. The learning process can surely be tedious but the lessons are worth the time. I am a different person two months ago, I was indeterminate, always needing assurance and guidance. However, I have improved. I am continuing to realize that I am more than capable to stand in my own feet and decide for myself. Each day of the two months I am in DC, I go through challenges and grow through them. I could not be any prouder of myself for that.
Focusing on social justice frequently requires me to critically analyze several aspects of different social justice issues. This has helped me discern things, which people fail to recognize because the media and influential individuals, who are being affected in a negative way, decide to turn a blind eye to. It has given me a broad understanding and a wider spectrum on our society’s attempt on making the community better.
In all honesty, I had a hard time writing this final blog because I wanted to express the unending gratitude to everyone who brought me to where I am standing right now and at the same time tell my overall reflection. But, until this time I am amazed and overwhelmed with all the things I have been a part of. And as I always say, I am delighted and very much honored to be a part of this internship.

Julliane Osias
GBCS EYA Intern 2017
Interfaith Power & Light

Comments

Popular Posts