Blog 7

Sydney G. A.

So... final week. I really can't believe that in three days I'll be flying back (Which I can't believe I just got emotional writing). On Sunday we all realized that this was our final church service together and I think it's finally hitting us... the summer is coming to and end. I've gotten so used to the city and all it's quirks, noises, and metro routes. I've adjusted well so leaving a place that I've been living for the past two months (on the U.S capital grounds no less) will be a bit jarring. And I've really bonded with everyone at GBCS, the other interns, and everyone at my job site that when I realize I'm not going to be seeing them again also tugs at my heart. Last Thursday was my last company staff meeting at IPL and they surprised me with a going away party that included some of my favorite desserts and they each told me what I added to the company and to them. I'm not gonna lie, at first it left me feeling a little awkward since all of the attention was on me. It sort of felt like when people are singing happy birthday to you and you're just sitting there not knowing what to do with yourself. But it was so sweet nonetheless and saying goodbye to their other intern, Maddie, who's last day was Friday really got to me since I had really liked her and would miss her fun and sarcastic personality that helped to brighten up my mornings. BUT...but, while I will be sad to leave... I have to admit, the pain is only bittersweet. I mean in three short days I will be home! And back with my family, and pets, and a car! I can eat at restaurants and not feel like I'm paying prices that rival college tuition. I can DRIVE to the grocery store and not rely on an Uber. I can wake up to birds chirping and not police sirens. I like yeah I'll miss being on Capital Hill, but not for too long. I miss home, and I'm looking forward to my finishing my final semester for school this fall. I'm ready to get my life back and take the necessary steps forward in school, future career, and within the UMC. And I will be forever grateful for GBCS for helping me do so.

Comments

Popular Posts