Jaylon’s 1st Blog!

June 13,2019
Jaylon Tasby
At 8:10 in the evening
First Blog Entry

        This past week has truly been one to remember and it still isn’t even over yet. I am absolutely in love with my placement at the NAACP Washington Bureau. The people, the environment, the knowledge is far beyond anything I could have ever expected. The director of the Washington Bureau, Dr. Hillary Shelton is truly one of a kind. Sitting and talking with him and listening to his many words of advice and wisdom war moments I would never take back. From him talking about how he used to work here at the Methodist Building, it him talking about his many years at the NAACP he never ceases to have me in awe. Recently one young woman who had been interning there through out this last year had finished her internship. He threw a small gathering for her right there in the office. Buying food and giving her words if encouragement and showing off her work. He is really a great man and leader, if he was ever nominated ti be the NAACP National President he would most definitely have my vote.
        Another thing that has really been great for me these last few days are the people. Not just the people I work with but also the people I live with. I am so proud and honored to call myself an EYA Intern and be amongst a host of other proud, strong and hilarious people of color. We get along, we laugh and we enjoy each other which is more than I could ever ask for in a roommate and peer. One moment in particular is when we all went to the Pride events this past weekend. When I say that it was so much fun, it was beyond a great time. From seeing Kelly in the parade, to catching beads, to jumping and dancing around to EDM music at the Capital Pride Concert. There was one moment I really think we connected with each other, when we were at the Concert (those of us who went) dancing to Marshmallo I’m jumping up and down and I look over and so is everyone else. Jumping and dancing with giant smiles on their faces having a good time just like I was. That was a moment I realized that I have really found some new life long friends that are actually pretty cool. Because honestly I was very afraid when I first came. I didn’t know how I would like or get along with my peers, and now look at us. I would have never thought we would be able to hang out and have fun like we do, let alone jump around and party at a Pride Concert. I have definitely fell in love with EYA and I can not wait to see what else this internship, this place, these people hold for me.
Until next blog, Jaylon T.

Comments

  1. I am so glad you are able to learn from the leadership of Dr. Shelton. He is a great story teller who can unravel history and his personal testimony. Consider the skills and humility you want to emulate as you lead.

    So glad the EYAs are enjoying all that DC has to offer! Keep laughing together.
    Katie

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts