Jaylon's 3rd Blog!

Blog Post 3
Written at 7:34 in the evening
On June 27th, 2019

    As I sit here thinking about what to write about in this weeks blog, I'm listening to music on my Spotify library. Surprisingly a Disney song comes on and of course I listen to it and sing along, the song is "Step Up" by the Cheetah Girls and interestingly enough it actually helped me hone in on what I want to talk about in this blog.
    In the song the Girls sing as apart of the chorus, "Step up, it's time to work it, step out, gotta do it for real, Say it loud, it's time to dance, step up and shine the way it feels." And as I think about the words that kind of sums up this work week. I had to step up, I had to step out and I had to just be me "the way it feels." At the NAACP office this week we had meetings with the Youth & College Division of the NAACP, and as part of the meeting they asked us questions about issues our college campus faces and other questions similar. We interns looked puzzled for a minute until one of us stepped up and spoke first, me. I shared how I feel Voter registration and Mental Health are two very big prominent issues that face my schools campus.
    Another thing that I realized this week as I continue to grow closer to my fellow interns here at EYA and at the NAACP, is that being yourself is okay! I love how we all accept each other and get along. Yes we disagree on things but we still respect and listen to each other. Particularly at my placement at the NAACP all of us interns are so completely different, yet we have such a high respect for each other.We truly embody the line "shine the way it feels," because all of our shines feel different and are different but that doesn't put a hassle on us. While we embrace our own individuality and "shine" we still respect, honor or even admire our peers individuality as well.
    So, as I rap up this post I just want to encourage all the readers and my fellow bloggers to just be yourself at ALL times. Never let anyone tell you to be or do anything different, stand your ground and stay true to who you are. Individuality is great but it means nothing without respect. Respect is key. Respect others opinions, personalities, differences and choices. One thing God asks of us all is to love one another as we love ourselves, love cannot live without respect. So respect each other and respect your self; and always step up, step out and "shine the way it feels."

Until Next Blog, Jaylon T.

Comments

Popular Posts