Blog 5 New York City!

I'm writing this a bit late since I've been at a conference for my placement. Over the weekend, we went to New York to visit the GBCS office at the UN. The speakers we met had been doing work to change and improve immigration law and support immigrants who face legal issues.

All of the programming for the trip was focused on immigration and it's an issue I've been paying more attention to recently because of the administration's inhumane treatment of those at the border. I find it so upsetting that people who claim to be followers of Jesus can ignore every part of the Bible that tells us to love and support our neighbors. Instead of being met with support, people who come here out of desperation are met with hatred, bigotry, and cruelty. We have a lot to work on, but I'm confident that as long as people don't remain silent and complacent, we can make a difference.

I'm happy we had the opportunity to go to New York and visit the UN. I was also able to visit my cousin who I hadn't seen in a few years. He moved to New York a few months ago and he visited my family in Chicago for the Fourth of July, but I didn't get to see him since I was in DC, so it was nice getting to catch up a bit.

I do wish the trip lined up a little better with my schedule though. I had to fly to Tennessee from New York to attend a week-long conference for my placement. I felt a little apprehensive about leaving because it meant I'd be away from the other EYA interns for a week and I knew that when I got back I would only have a week left with them. I'll talk more about the conference in my next blog.

Jared

Comments

Popular Posts