Blog 6: See you again

Blog 6:

The week 7 of the program is coming to a close and we are just around the corner to end this program. This is my last blog post as an EYA intern. I have already started imagining the Saturday morning at the airport when I say goodbye to my EYAs, and I can totally picture myself with tears in my eyes.

I have done many goodbyes. Since I left my home when I was 17, I have been moving around places between countries to countries. Each place I go to, I meet new people and find long-lasting relationships I could develop. And every time I move on, I say goodbyes to places and people. Some of them are full of excitement and anticipation, and others are full of sadness and sorrow. And some of them make me feel like I am finally released. Goodbyes can be by choice or forced. Even though I have done many goodbyes, I never get used to them. Goodbyes are difficult for me, mainly due to the future that comes with; uncertainty, worry, pain, and change. Goodbyes empty what I have had but also gift me with new discoveries into my life box. 

Life is a lonely journey especially during an adulthood. I often get lonely but still appreciative of people who have accompanied me, who have made this lonely journey a great one. I am grateful that I have a family, friends and people of the support system through each stage of my growth, although it is tough when these people are physically away. I am grateful that I have been able to "choose" to leave people and places, considering there are people in the world who are forced to flee their home, not knowing where they would land. I am thankful that I have a home in a safe place where I can "choose" to go back. And because I am who I am thanks to my people of all races, nationalities, religions and gender, I turn this gratitude into a force to fight with people who are under oppression and whose human rights are neglected.

The concept of "going back home" reminds me of Trump's comment on Twitter targeting the four congresswomen. It makes me think that it is possible for me to encounter someone who might tell me to go back to my country because of the existing hatred narratives. Life is never constant, and just like that, people keep moving forward, find new communities and start to contribute to the new community they belong. In that process, some people move between countries. Who decide who own the world? We all share this beautiful earth, right? There should be no one who can define where other person comes from because only that person knows the answer. Home changes and the number of home increases as life moves on. The world should be the stage equally for all human beings to shine. I am sure, for many people that there are more than just one home whether it's physical or imaginative. To me, the U.S. is also my home, just like D.C. and this EYA community became home to me. Home is where I find comfortable to be and home never disappears no matter what. Home stays where it begins, and stays in my heart. But, the most important thing to me is that I will never go back and I will only go forward. The world constantly challenges us for a reform. There are so many issues that the world needs to be changed and make progress. Despite the evil in this world which tries to discourage or exclude me, I move forward firmly, proudly with my roots and my pathways. I am the only person who can be accountable for my decisions, and I have the responsibility to stand with them.

I am amazed by how fast this EYA community has developed. Enneagram was another highlight of this week's community development, allowing us to analyze the space and the position each of us takes. Our "goodbye" is definitely a "see you again". It is unfortunate that in a week, we all will be spread around the county and not able to share the same space anymore, but I am also looking forward to continuously developing our community and growing together even in distance. I am glad that now I am blessed with these beautiful teammates who share the same value in seeking justice and integration in our world.

- Tomomi

Comments

Popular Posts