Alexander Sankey Blog #3

As our internship continues and as the weeks go by I learn more and more about the injustices that occur in our world today. Yesterday was July, 4th, the American Independence Day, the day that the Americans have received their freedom and were no longer under the foot of a tyrannical ruler. Who exactly was made free? Why, all Americans of course. No, the white Americans were free, we as minorities still were not free, we did not receive our freedom from tyrannical rulers and we were not given basic human rights. Our struggles continued on for a few hundred more years, and we still face injustices from rulers. As I grew up I've always celebrated the 4th of July and I felt a strong sense of pride in my country, I have always been patriotic. I love this country, I will serve it when I become an Officer in the Marine Corps. Why though? The reason used to be that I loved this country and anybody who was against it was an enemy, I had a very dim sense of justice that limited my mind and I could not ever believe that America was wrong. The reason today is that I love my family and my friends that I will be willing to lay down my life. People ask why would I want to serve a country that persecuted my Native People, the reason is that I have been and will always be a protector of my family, if any harm should befall me, that is okay, but if harm comes to my family I will gladly stand in the way of it. The 4th of July however is no longer fun to me, I do not want to celebrate it any longer, I see to many injustices that remind me that even today not all people are free. I celebrated with my nephews because they are young and innocent, they do not understand how cruel the world is. They see the 4th as a day to pop fireworks and to have a cookout. I still honor those who have served, are serving, and those who have lost their lives and have given their lives for this country, but I no longer enjoy celebrating the 4th until all people can be free and be able to express themselves without fear. This internship has taught me a lot about the injustices that are faced today, it is heartbreaking to learn but it has taught me to be a better person and to stand up for those who cannot voice themselves and for those whose voices are not heard.

Comments

  1. Thanks for sharing your new feelings about the 4th of July and your hope for all of God's people to be free. It is hard to be critical of the nation you are called to serve. When did you start hearing the call to serve? Do you know others in the armed forces?

    Katie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Katie,

      I have felt the call to serve this nation since the age of 10. I have always looked up to those who have served in the armed forces. I have met and talked with many friends and people who have served in our branches and I feel like this is the right call for me. To me, it is deeper than serving the nation, it's putting myself in front of my family and friends, it's about becoming part of something bigger than myself. I chose the Marine Corps because I feel like I will be tested to the best of my abilities and the people who I will serve with will become a big part of my life. Honestly, I feel like I am not cut out for working an office job or any kind of thing like that. I do not think I am that well at leading things of that nature. I feel like I will be better cut out at becoming an officer and leading Marines instead of any other job. I feel like this is what I will be best at and is my calling in life, to serve this nation and more importantly serve my God.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts