Alexander Sankey Blog #4

For this past week of internship I have focused on three things that are important to me. First, I focused on God and made sure that the work and outside work I did was to be for God and through God. Secondly, I worked on my PowerPoint presentation about environmental racism. Lastly, I finished up a blog that focuses on the racism and history centered around Mt. Rushmore. Environmental racism is a very important topic for me because of the fact that it requires harming the environment to harm a minority group. Who can hate someone so bad that you will force them to live in a bad environment where they breathe polluted air and run a risk of getting cancer just by living? That is so sick, that is evil, I still cannot come up with an answer on why one race thinks they are supreme above all others. Just because someone has a different skin color or different view than you does not mean you are better and it certainly does not mean that you should kill them through environmental racism. In fact, thinking you are better than others make you a terrible person, God did not make us to be better than the other. God put time and care into each and every one of us, so by destroying what God created out of pure hate means that God is not truly in your heart and you become a lost person. Pertaining to Mt. Rushmore, that has been an eyesore to me since I learned the history about it. It is wrong that our government has decided to take the land away from the natives for a second time in search for a few handfuls of gold, and it is even worse that they decided to chisel faces of colonizers into the Black Hills that are sacred to the Oglala Lakota people. Growing up I loved to read history about America, but what I learned recently is that I only learned half truths or lies. I no longer enjoy reading history because I tend to think about the lives that were lost and the pain that was endured behind subjects. It is ugly to think about how many things are forgotten or covered up for the sake of saving face, I even wonder if there are more things that we do not know about that have been forgotten. This past Friday was a good day because we were given the chance to speak about certain people from the book Tell Me Who You Are by Winona Guo and Priya Vulcha. The people that we chose to speak about were people we felt could help tell our story or could relate to certain aspects of our lives. I was given the chance to speak about myself as well as problems in the native american communities, and I was also given the chance to hear about the other interns, our chaplain, and our leader's lives. It was interesting to hear other people speak about where they come from and how these things shaped them into who they are today. Friday was also a good day because the label Juice WRLD is under has released a posthumous album. The album is titled Legends Never Die, I feel like this entire album was great and that there were no bad songs at all. So all in all this week of internship has been great and I am looking forward to the next week.

Comments

  1. Hi Alexander, Thanks for reflecting on your work with NRPE and the program elements. I look forward to reading your blog on Mt. Rushmore, please share it when it is published! I am grateful for your sharing your experiences and history on Friday, you share a lot of pride and hope in your Native American culture and history.

    Katie

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts