Alexander Sankey Blog #5

The work of advocating for needs of people who are disadvantaged is never easy. This past week has been tiresome in the sense of trying to bring others to make change. I usually use social media as a way to talk with people who share my views and to educate myself to become a better person. It is said that there are 3.6 billion people who use social media, and all of us have similarities and difference between our views and ideas. When I comment on a post, I have found that there are usually three types of people who will reply or have input. There are those who agree, those who disagree, and those who are simply seeking more information before making a decision. I will first begin with those who disagree, what I have found is that many of those who disagree are either trying to be edgy, are misinformed or uninformed about the subject, or are simply too blind to see beyond their bubble. These are the ones who make this work most tiresome, it is annoying to constantly have to have a conversation with someone who thinks they know best because that is their opinion or they heard their idea from a talk show person. For example, I made the comment that respecting other races and cultures is like wearing a mask, it is not hard and is a courteous thing to do for other people. While I did receive a few comments that agreed with me, I also received comments from those who disagree. For instance, one person said that forcing people to wear a mask is breaking their freedoms and is unconstitutional. This was the first time in my life where I read a sentence and I immediately rolled my eyes. I love to stand up for things that I believe and for other people, but honestly it gets tiresome when people bring bad energy around. One thing I noticed about myself is that I let people and their words get to me, if somebody says something to me I will remember it years later, no matter how small of a thing it is. I have no clue why I am the way that I am but hearing negative comments about things that I believe in just bother me and make me not want to continue anymore. However, I know that I have to continue because I cannot let someone bring me down to their level and quit standing in solidarity with others. One thing I will be working on is putting my struggles and burdens in God's hands, placing my faith in God is the only way I can hope to make it through anything. I find that when I just let things go and let God handle it, it is comforting and things do not seem as significant. I am hoping to continue to exercise that and to let God handle things from now on, I will merely be a vessel that will work for God's people and God. Although I am sure to fail from time to time, God will continue to be here for me regardless, and that is the only thing I need throughout this life.

Comments

  1. Thanks for sharing how you engage others on social media, you use this platform to share your thoughts and values of caring for others. It is heavy to care for others and to carry God's hopes for the world.

    I am glad you find centering in being the messenger and you know how words past spoken still sit with you today.

    Katie

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts