Alexander Sankey Blog #6

As the end of the summer draws near I feel like I had a great one. Some people may say that this is probably the worst summer break in history. Those of us who stayed in and away from people miss our friends and we think about the time we could have spent with them. I wish I could have spent time with friends, but I had to think about the safety of my family before I think about my enjoyment. This summer brought no losses at all. I believe this internship has brought me fulfillment in my mind, spirit, and body. This summer has taught me to use my voice to speak out against the injustices that are faced by people in this world today, and there are many. My life has been changed that I am more aware of what goes on. Though reading and learning about the struggles and pain that occurs in this world to many people is heartbreaking, I believe it is helpful because it motivates me to use that pain and emotion to do my best. This summer I have sharpened the skill of resisting peer pressure and to walk a road of doing right by God's children. Though I will admit that it can cause you to lose friendships, but all in all it is better to do the right thing than to have friends. I am not alone on this path as I have found, for there are many who are right along with me. I have made connections with people who share certain views and feel the urge to do something about instead of ignoring it or engaging in performative activism. This internship is truly a blessing, I feel inspired to do better in my life and to be more vocal about what I believe in despite the opposition I face.
On a personal note, I am saddened that I have lost friendships due to me being vocal, and I am sure that there are many more friends to lose, but at the same time there are many friends to be gained that believe in what I believe in. As Martin Luther King Jr. said "Every man must decide whether he will walk in the light of creative altruism or in the darkness of destructive selfishness." My silence was violence towards other people, my selfishness was destructive to others who have felt pain because of me. I only wish to walk in the light of God and become better. I hope to be forgiven for my past and I ask that God pushes me to not repeat those mistakes or let it occur before. I ask that the Lord gives me the strength and courage to always do what is right no matter what is before me. I have been proven time and time again that there is no time to waste. Each time we do not act, something terrible happens. HOW MANY LIVES MUST BE CUT SHORT AND DESTROYED BEFORE WE STAND UP AND DO SOMETHING? This past week I have been carrying a quote with me that has made me think about what I do with my life, "this gon' be a hard pill to swallow, but you may not live to see tomorrow. So don't just sit here in your sorrow, look for some happiness." - Juice WRLD. Honestly, that lyric just reminds me that we are not all promised tomorrow, and though it is a sad fact, it teaches us to not spend our time being angry but to be happy we have today. Growing up I cannot lie, I had anger issues, I took everything personal and let it eat me up inside. I have learned to move on, to ignore those who speak down to me and to just remember that I will not let myself sink into a pit of anger. So as we continue with this last week of internship, I hope and pray that this good energy lasts and I become better.

Comments

  1. Thanks for weaving in your personal and social commitment to call out injustice. You share the heaviness of this choice on your relationships but remain strong in your commitment to lifting up others.

    I am grateful for all the songs and personal wrestling you shared in your blogs this summer.

    Katie

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts