Emma Rankin Post 3, July 5

To whom may listen,

I have a nephew who is six years old and in mid-October, we will get to celebrate his seventh birthday. He loves to be outside to ride on his bike, he loves Spider-Man, he likes to watch YouTube, he enjoys being in the water especially during the summer, he hates cheese with a passion, and he not only loves his family/friends but he loves God. I do not have kids of my own so when I look at him I look at the love of my life. Before he was born I did not know life with him but after six and a half years I can't imagine life without him. I'm sure that you have people in your life just like him. A brother, son, nephew, or a friend.

But when I look at my nephew I wonder if he will end up like Trayvon Martin, shot at the age of seventeen because he looked "suspicious". Or if he will end up like Ahmaud Arbery gunned down while on a run because he didn't look like he belonged, because he looks like a "criminal". Or perhaps my nephew will be another George Floyd, at the age of 46 a police officer will put a knee on his neck until the life is drained out of him while he calls out for his mother.

White people, you don't have to worry about this. Your men can go out on to the streets and not be seen as dangerous, animals, out of control, or criminals. You don't have to teach your children at the age of seven how to act when seen by the police. That they should put their hands in the air, state their name, let a grown adult (the police) know that a seven-year-old is non-treating, and does not contain any weapons.

When I say Black Lives Matter you want to say All Lives Matter. But all lives DO NOT matter. In this country, unless you are a wealthy white heterosexual male then your life does not mean anything to anyone. If all lives mattered then black people would not make up 40% of the prison population even though they are only 13% of the US population. If all lives mattered then poor people wouldn't be seen as worthless and lazy. If all lives mattered then when a woman is sexually assaulted your first question wouldn't be what was she wearing. And if all lives mattered then people who are apart of the LGBTQ+ community wouldn't be beaten to an inch of their life. 

We have to continually say that Black Lives Matter because where I'm standing from no life matters. And this is NOT a political statement. Me caring about the life of my nephew and my loved ones has nothing to do with your meaningless little politics. And this is NOT a social trend. Black people, and other minority groups, have to live with this daily. White people, especially rich white people, have the privilege of turning away when it does not benefit them. When you live with fear and anger every day you don't have the privilege of turning away.   

I ask you that you do not turn human life into politics or a trend. My very being is not political and I am here. Have conversations become educated. People in this country have real issues with reconciling with their past and making our future better. It will be pain for everyone but we have to do it. Please, let my nephew love Spider-Man and hate cheese without worrying about a grown man finding him treating. Thank you

Grace and Peace,
Emma Rankin   


Comments

  1. Thanks for this moving reflection and call to the Black Lives Matter movement. You share your love and desire to uphold human life and dignity.

    Katie

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts