ViaFaith McCullough Blog #5- "There's Something in the Water" July 19, 2020

When I was young, I remember members of my family occasionally saying, "Mmmh, there must be something in that water!" It was usually said in reference to the observation of strange activity, attitudes, or patterns of behavior. Of course, this all being relative to the lens the person was viewing the behavior, either a perceived divergence from someone's normal pattern of behavior or the oddity not seeing the behavior before entirely. Above all, the phrase "something's in the water" creates a rather ominous tone. A foreshadowing of illumination of something more elusive at play. This is much of my sentiment now. This country is undergoing drastic changes. National leadership, shielded under the guise of freedom, has continued to allow communities to decline in pursuit of corporate interest. In many ways, I feel like a veil has been lifted. Many of the laws I thought were apart of government regulatory practices are detrimental to marginalized communities. From gerrymandering to Flint, Michigan where the water is literally tainted with lead, I am reminded "there's something in the water."  As I enter the final weeks of my EYA internship, I am filled with both excitement and reservation. I have excitement to learn more and push myself, but also apprehension with wondering how I can contribute next. The death of the civil rights icon, Senator John Lewis has both sadden and inspired me. I am saddened because another great leader was lost, but inspired by his legacy of ringing the alarm on injustice and letting people know America's "water" is tainted. I am reminded to stay encouraged and keep fight. There is still more work to be done and a long road ahead.

Comments

  1. John Lewis was a man of courage who inspires so many generations. I loved your reflection on the phrase "there is something in the water" I know a lot is stirring and moving within you and you will continue to stand for the common good.

    Katie

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts