ViaFaith McCullough- Last Blog, "A Bittersweet End"

As I enter my last few hours of my EYA Internship, a rush of emotions are beginning to weigh on me. On one hand, I am in a state of disbelief. I can't believe that this summer has gone by so quickly. It feels like just yesterday I was meeting my 2020 EYA cohort for the first time. I can feel the nervousness that rushed through my hands, as I anxiously waited to meet Kev. Katie, the highly professional face on the other side of the web I had been corresponding, for the first time. I expected our cohort to be a large group. I was presently surprised to find how intimate our group was. There was some much power and diversity within our small group. Everyone is was welcoming and open-mined. It was a beautiful experience to hear how everyone heard God's call to social justice in their own way. On the other hand, I am deeply humbled for the opportunity to grow this summer. Between working with RESULTS, EYA programming, and devotional, I feel I have grown so much spiritually and professionally. The best gift I have received is an opportunity to see how faith, social justice, and occupation can align. One does not have to exist without the other. In EYA programming, we discussed the Social Principles, environmental issues, the racial and ethnic work of the church, and the criminal justice system. With each of these sessions, I was able to see how people could find purpose in calling and use it to work for social justice. In my work with RESULTS, I saw the importance of access to affordable housing and SNAP programs, especially during a pandemic. Believe God calls us to care for all of his creation. To care for people, you don't have to have the most money or have a prominent platform. I believe God wants to use us were ever were are to speak up and speak out. I have learned never to underestimate your stories and experiences. The help can be used as a tool of ministry and are an important foundation of understanding what helps shapes your calling. I am grateful for the insight I have gained, the connections I have made, and the friendships I have built. While this is a bittersweet ending of this program, I am confident this is not the end of my relationship with EYA and GBCS. I believe EYA  has and is creating great future leaders of the church and the world. I look forward to seeing the work we will do for God's Kingdom in the future.
Thank you, Rev. Katie, Emma, Ashley, and Alexander for your kind words, challenging perspectives, and positive spirits! Thank you to General Board of Church and Society, for supporting this program

With Love,
ViaFaith McCullough 2020 EYA Intern

Comments

Popular Posts