Noemi Wilson, blog 3, July 4th

This week’s chapters for our devotional time were really important to me. Gonzalez discusses “questions about the goodness of God in the midst of suffering” which are questions I find myself thinking about very frequently. I am blessed that I rarely can apply the “suffering” to myself but as I continue towards a career path with the goal to help lift people out of poverty, I think about why God has placed the poorest people of the world in these life situations. Thinking about just how much of the world’s population lives off less than $2 a day definitely makes me question the goodness of God in general. I hate not having the answers, especially to questions that are a matter of life or death. It doesn’t seem fair. These questions have been on repeat for years now that I am old enough to think deeply about these issues. I get frustrated because I don’t think I am ever given a good answer when people try to answer it. I can ask “why would God bring a disease so contagious that it has killed just under 4 million people so far?” and the answer I will get is “God works in mysterious ways.” When this is the best answer I am given, I think of Karen’s prayer she said as a young girl just a few chapters ago: “Jesus, I want to know you.” All I want is to understand to be able to make a change. 

I am grateful for the times I am given some perspective. This book gave me new insight on why the poor and suffering continue to look to God despite their circumstances. Gonzalez says, “for other vulnerable people throughout the world, that question may be less complicated than it seems for more privileged people who associate health and wealth with God’s love and blessing… For them (suffering people), God’s presence in suffering is what enables them to live.” This reminded me of the privilege it is to be living, breathing, and have what I need to survive almost guaranteed to me every day. I often forget to be thankful for the opportunity to live the life that I do. I am thankful for my house, my cozy room, my loving family, my beautiful friends, my education and so much more. 

This blog is a bit shorter but nothing super, overly exciting happened with my work at RESULTS this past week. This doesn’t mean it isn’t just as interesting though because I continue to learn so much just by joining various meetings. This upcoming week I will be scheduling meetings with offices in Illinois. I look forward to having them listen to our concerns and my perspectives on issues in Chicago. 


Comments

  1. Thanks for continuing to unpack these deep questions of faith and connecting them back to your hope and vocation.
    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad you have been able to engage and connect with the text from our Bible Study beyond our session. Your contributions and rich questions are such a gift to us all. I believe these spiritual questioning and formation will help give you a strong foundation to become the advocate you need to be in your future work.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts