To be inspired


News this week from Washington: after a huge uproar against it, the President Trump signed an executive order to end family separation at the border. However, the new process will be to detain families together. Now our work begins to stop that. My biggest worry is now that family separation has “ended,” the public will begin to forget about all the issues with our immigration system. People may see this as a “success” on the part of protesting and organizing, but there is still so much more to be done. If the attention of the public could change family separation, I truly believe it could change other things as well. It just depends on what issues are in the public eye.  
Being in DC and interning at Church World Service has truly opened my eyes to a future in organizing and non-profit work. Before coming here, I had no idea what I would do after college. I was active in social justice work in my area, and I had been throughout my life. My childhood was spent going to United Methodist Women events, and my high school years were dedicated to volunteering for my church and its many community partners. I was born and raised in a community that has a passion for justice, and I fell in love with the work as well. However, I never knew anyone who’s career was dedicated to it. My family was filled with justice-seeking Christians, but those same people were also teachers, lawyers, and healthcare professionals. Of course, those careers can be works of justice on their own, but none were the path that I felt called to follow.
Now that I am in DC—seeing all the possibilities working in NGOs—I am so excited for what my future may hold. I have always felt called into this work, but I could never admit it prior. I could barely even name it prior. Now, I can name it, and I can be true to who I have always been called to be. I still have so much left to learn, but I am excited to finally pursue it wholeheartedly. Last week’s seminar, “Intro to Organizing” was a start. In particular, a quote from a Howard University professor: “Do not seek greatness. Seek to serve, and perchance you may stumble upon greatness.” It is easy to seek the notoriety of organizing and social justice. It is easy to pursue the limelight and hope to be recognized for your “great work.” But if your motivations are in the wrong place, how can you ever expect to make a difference?
Nica Sy
Blog Post 3
6/22/18

Comments

Popular Posts